4225 Easton Avenue Bethlehem, PA 18020 | 610-814-6400
Bethlehem Township

Public Works - FAQs

Why hasn't my garbage and recycling been picked up?

You must contact your garbage hauler for removal or if you are a new resident you must contact a hauler who is licensed to collect within the Township. You can contact the Administration Department at 610-814-6405 for a list of these haulers.

The Township is not responsible for the removal of garbage or recycling, but you may pick up a recycling container at the Township Municipal Building. The first container is free, and any additional containers are $12.00 each. Click HERE to see who is a registered hauler!

I have a sinkhole on my property, what do I do?

You must hire a contractor to excavate and repair the hole. The Township only repairs sinkholes which are located in the roads. If you detect a sinkhole in the road contact our office immediately at 610-814-6442. During weekend or evening hours, please contact County Dispatch at 610-759-2200.

I just trimmed my trees/bushes. Is there anywhere within the Township where I can take the branches?

Yes, tree branches smaller than 12" in diameter and acceptable yard waste can be brought to the Township's Yard Waste Recycling Center.

Does the Public Works Department pick up Christmas trees after the Holidays?

No, trees may be taken to the Township's Yard Waste Recycling Center during regular operating hours.

When is my street going to be plowed?

Streets in the Township are plowed in order of priority. First priority streets are snow emergency routes, emergency services areas, school routes and all main arteries. Second priority is all alternate streets, and third priority are dead ends and cul-de-sacs.

Please be patient with us at this time, we are getting around streets as fast as possible.
For additional snow plowing information click HERE

My mailbox, shrubbery, fence post, etc. was damaged during plowing, who is responsible?

Bethlehem Township has adopted Resolution No. R28-92 which states that damage to any mailbox, fence post, shrubbery, etc. by the funnel of snow expelled from the plow will not be repaired by the Township. If a Township vehicle or plow makes physical contact with such property and causes damage, the item will be replaced at the Township's expense. Any damaged should be reported to the Public Works Department and it will be evaluated by the Director of Public Works. You will be notified by mail of his decision.

Will the Township pick up my leaves?

Yes, the Township has a leaf collection program. Click HERE for more information.

I’m buying a house in the Township and need to have my water turned on. Who do I contact?

Your Title Company should handle this, but if they do not, you can contact the Finance Department for your sewer billing at 610-814-6460. The water is supplied by the City of Bethlehem (610-865-7070) or Easton Suburban Water (610-258-7181).

There is a dead deer in the road/on my property. Who picks them up?

You must contact the PA Game Commission to pick up the carcass at 610-926-3136 or 610-926-3137.

Where can I walk my Dog?

Bethlehem Township has two facilities where pets are allowed: the Towpath/Canal Trail, off Wilson Avenue, and the Palmer/Bethlehem Township Rail Trail. Both trails offer a beautiful natural environment that welcome you and your four legged friends. The Township's "Leash Law", Ordinance 11-89, requires all dogs to be controlled by a leash at all times regardless of their location. Owners are also required to clean up any fecal matter and dispose of it in a sanitary manner.

Please be a responsible pet owner and do your part to keep these facilities open to pet owners. Pets are not permitted at any other park, playground or Township owned lot.

How do I dispose of old paint, motor oil, household hazardous waste, etc.?

Northampton County normally conducts a drop-off event twice a year. Visit our News Section for postings of these events.

How do I dispose of old electronic devices including computers, TV’s, Freon-bearing items, etc.?

Visit the Northampton County Electronics Recycling for more information.

What can I do with my grass clippings?

As you prepare for the upcoming grass mowing season, you should consider the following information regarding your lawn maintenance program:

  • Bagging your grass clippings doesn't improve the quality of your lawn. It actually robs your lawn of valuable nutrients.
  • Grass clippings are 20– 30% protein, usually contain 4% nitrogen, 2% potassium and .5% phosphorus plus all the necessary trace elements that plants need.
  • Grass clippings are not accepted at the Yard Waste Recycling Center and are not collected by your trash hauler.
  • If you dump grass clippings in with your fall leaves, the Township is not permitted to collect them.
  • "Grasscycling" is a simple alternative to bagging your grass clippings.

The Pennsylvania DEP offers the following "grasscycling tips":

  • Grass clippings left on your lawn will break down in 7 to 14 days and act as a top-dressing fertilizer, helping to keep your lawn green and healthy.
  • Mow often, cutting less than 1/3 of the grass growth.
  • Mow when the grass is dry and use a sharp mower blade.
  • Don't let large clumps of grass clippings accumulate on the lawn.
  • Don't overuse harsh chemicals and fertilizers.
  • Water your lawn less frequently, but for longer periods of time
  • If possible, use a mulching mower that grinds the clippings.

For more information visit the following websites:
Pennsylvania Association of Conservation Districts
Department of Plant Science - Home Lawns

Who is responsible for Street Trees?

Street trees are required to be planted by the developer when a new subdivision is constructed. The maintenance of the street tree is the responsibility of the property owner. Regular pruning, especially in the first few years after transplanting will encourage the tree to grow up rather than out. Lower branches should be pruned so that sidewalks are not blocked (at least 8 feet above the sidewalk). If the limbs hang over the street, consider taking off any branches that do not provide at least 12 feet of clearance above the road. This also applies to any double frontage lots that have trees along the rear property line. The material trimmed from these trees can be brought to the Township Yard Waste Center on Falmer Drive. Please note that the Township has the right to cut or trim any tree within, or branches that hang over, the Township Right-of-way. As weather and work load allow, our crews will go into a section of the Township to trim branches so our vehicles do not hit them during snow plowing. They will also try to cut any dead branches to avoid them falling during storms. Proper care and maintenance of your street tree provides value to your neighborhood. If you have any questions, please call the Public Works Department (610-814-6442).

Alleys...What Are They and Who Is Responsible?

Alleys are accesses that run between properties and connect to local streets. They provide residents with access to the rear of their properties and are the responsibility of the adjoining property owners. Utility companies and the Township have a Right-of-Way through the alleys, which means they have a legal right of passage over the alley, even though they don't own or maintain it.

Even if the alley is shown on the Township map with a street name, alleys are not streets and are not maintained by the Township. Although the alley is owned and maintained by the adjoining property owners, the property owners cannot put structures in the alley, change the direction of drainage through the alley or block access to the alley by parking vehicles or equipment in the alley.

© Bethlehem Township

Leave a Message
Welcome to the Bethlehem Township messaging system. Please fill out the form below and a representative will contact you within the next business day.

If this is a police, fire, or medical emergency dial 911. If this is a police or public safety non-emergency, please call Northampton County Dispatch at 610-759-2200.